Our Story

Prior to moving to its current home in Cataraqui Village, Kingston Monuments and Stonework operated at three different Kingston locations.

The company had its roots planted in 1904 as Kingston Granite and Marble Works in downtown Kingston by its founder James E. Mullen. Soon after, James changed the company name to J. Mullen Marble & Granite Works and moved it to a new home in the spring of 1917.

As the business grew, James' son Howard F. Mullen started to learn the trade and in 1955 took over the reigns with his new business partner W.H. Mick Wallace. The two men operated the business in the same location until they decided to make a move to Highway 2 in the village of Cataraqui and rename the business Kingston Memorials.

When Highway 2 was widened, the firm once again moved its operation to its current location, 1041 Sydenham Road, the site of the former Thomas Moore Confectionary Store. Howard and his wife Helen became the new owners and incorporated the company as Kingston Monuments Ltd.

In 1972, brothers Peter and George Rigos who worked for Smith Brothers Granite in Montreal, saw an opportunity, moved their families to Kingston and purchased the business from Howard and Helen. The brothers honed their craft at the side of their father in Greece, where the tradition of monument building had been carried on by their ancestors since the 1700's.

George retired in 2000, at which time Peter partnered with his son Elias who worked in his father & uncle's shop since the age of 9. Recognizing a growing trend, the father and son team expanded their monument operation to include granite & quartz countertop manufacturing in 2001.

The company name was once again refreshed in 2013 to Kingston Monuments and Stonework to reflect the increasing demand for countertops and other stone projects.

We’d like the opportunity for our family to meet your family and welcome your visit to our office and production facilities, where we still honour and continue the tradition of quality craftsmanship, care, compassion and old-fashioned business ethics that James E. Mullen practiced in 1904.